Thursday, April 05, 2007

Cabbage watch






This might be a bit like over kill but I have gone to town with the cabbages! They found their way into the ground today. To give them a helping hand, I dug in a grow bag to improve the soil. My ground looks like a collection of brown clay like golf balls and one of the pros down the site suggested investing in extra soil. Next, I have surrounded them all with garlic organic slug barrier. It cost a bit so it had better work. After that, each cabbage was given its own little bit of carpet to sit on because I have read that this will stop flys laying eggs under them. Finally, I built a wire cage to fend off the rabbits.

The work took me all day and I realise that one can get a bit carried away.

2 comments:

ros said...

hello luke- i was interested to read your account of tomatoes as I 'm just startting to grow the things and I could'nt work out what side shoots were- little hope !! I'm putting them in containers on our terrace - we live in france and the grass is full of tics and other yuks. Currently digging out a patch for pots., leeks, carrots and broccoli- any tips welcome

ajw said...

Hello luke