Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Slug solution



Ok listen up everyone! I may be new to this but I have cracked the slug problem. I knew the slugs were eating the broad beans and I felt at one point that anything the weavils didnt get then the slugs would. What's the point I thought. I want to be organic and kind etc.... so I didn't want to use slug pellets. I tried garlic granuals as a barrier. At 9 quid a pot it was expensive and rather disappointing in that it had no effect whatsoever. Anyway, one night I had to walk the dog late so I wandered down the allotment out of curiosity to see what happens when I sleep. I counted 43 slugs on the broad beans alone! I was amazed!! Where the heck had they come from? I picked every last one off. Galvanised by slug rage I went down the next night and I found 20. The next night there was 10. Now if I go down I find 2 or 3. I have had to widen the search to all areas of the allotment and the surrounding path just to get more than 5.

This has to be the best slug defence. I am so pleased with myself that I am even kind to the slimey enemy. Any slugs I find get spared and relocated to the conservation area between my house and the allotment thus keeping the eco system happy.

In the mean time the beans are growing like mad. I was actually seeing the plants getting smaller before I started slug hunting and now they are thriving.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I've been using organic slug repellent granules around my broad beans after they had been eaten to within an inch of their lives by the greedy slugs and they seem to be doing a decent job of keeping them out.

Might be worth considering if you find you can't patrol the plot and remove the little blighters each night!

Luke Bridges said...

Well the plot was very overgrown prior to planting the beans and I think the slugs just laughed at the garlic. I did try putting lots down but when I went the first night there were so many slugs crawling over the granuals it was comical. Now the slug population has been reduced (I must have removed around 100 of the creatures now) ,maybe the granuals might be effective.